|Colonies of North America|
British Colonies in America
USA, May 13, 1607-1784, lost after the Revolutionary War.
- New Jersey
- South Carolina
- New Hampshire
- New York
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
French Colonies in 1712
French Colonies in America
- Louisiana, lost to the Spanish after the French and Indian Wars, regained during the Napoleonic Wars, and sold in the Louisiana Purchases to the United States of America to fund the Napoleonic Wars, sold by Emperor Napoleon.
- Quebec, lost in the French and Indian Wars to the British.
- Finally, Haiti in the Caribbean rebelled against France, and began the Haitian Revolution. Haiti was the richest island colony, but because Napoleon was in the Napoleonic Wars with the rest of Europe, he released most colonies in North America.
New Spain in 1795
Spanish Colonies in America
- New Spain, 1519-1821, declared independence as Mexico.
- Cuba, lost to the United States in the Spanish-American War.
- Florida, lost to the British after the Seven Years War, gained after the Revolutionary War, lost to the United States of America after the Spanish-American War.
Dutch Colonies on the East Coast
Dutch Colonies in America
- New Netherlands, 1614-1664, captured by England in the Second Anglo-Dutch War, renamed New York, regained in the Third Anglo-Dutch War, but exchanged for Suriname.
- Suriname, 1667-1975, granted independence by the Netherlands.
Swedish Colonies in America
- New Sweden, 1638-1655, absorbed into New Netherlands.
Russian Colonies in America
- Alaska, 1799-1867, Purchased by the United States of America.